The Mission of the Montessori Teachers’ Association of Delaware is to provide a comprehensive instructional venue for teachers, parents, schools and others interested in the Montessori method in Delaware and surrounding areas thereby increasing the opportunities for children to participate in a quality Montessori learning experience.
The Montessori Teachers’ Association of Delaware is a non-profit organization dedicated to providing educational enrichment and support for Montessorians and other educators in Delaware and surrounding areas. MTAD has a long history beginning under the leadership of Lillian Shah of the Elementary Workshop Montessori School, who sought to bring teachers together to share their classroom experiences. In 2006, the organization incorporated as an official non-profit organization. It has since expanded to offering conferences, workshops, and other support for Montessori educators. The organization is guided by a Board comprised of the Heads of School from each of the participating Delaware Montessori Schools. Please let us know your interests in helping MTAD continue to develop its leadership in education.
The MTAD Officers
E. McCrae Harrison
Assistant to the Principal
Montessori Academies at Christina (MAC)
- Bancroft Elementary School
- West Park Place Elementary School
A goal of MTAD is to provide opportunities for local Montessori teachers to hear national speakers locally without the costs of travel to conferences. In the past years the conference has highlighted respected speakers who complement our Montessori work. These have included:
- Martha Torrence
- Dr. Robert Brooks
- Madelyn Swift
- Martha McDermott
- Dr. Steven Hughes
- Dr. Elizabeth Coe
- Judy Bauerlein
- Dr. Joyce S. Pickering
- Catherine McTamaney Ed.D.
- James Butler (SEL Mindfulness Specialist)
MTAD provides an annual lecture for parents of children in member schools. This lecture is held on the night prior to the annual conference and features the conference speaker. It is a great opportunity for parents to share in the learning experience of teachers.
Montessori Teacher Education Scholarship
The Marilyn Tokarsky Teacher Education Scholarship Fund was established in 2013 and is administered by the Montessori Teachers’ Association of Delaware. As a 501(c)3 organization, MTAD raises funds to support Montessori causes in Delaware and nationally. In particular, MTAD is focused on the ongoing development and support of a teacher training scholarship.
- Adult learners must be enrolled in an Infant Toddler or Early Childhood training program that is MACTE accredited/affiliated
- Currently pursuing the Montessori Infant Toddler or Montessori Early Childhood credential
- Employed by a Delaware Montessori school
Please contact an officer of MTAD for more information. Scholarship applications are due the end of September and awarded in the late fall of each school year.
Congratulations to our 2017 Marilyn Tokarsky/MTAD Teacher Scholarship recipients:
- Jocelyn Hall – Montessori Institute for Teacher Education Training Program/ Wilmington Montessori School student teaching site
- Magdalena Tomic – Montessori Institute for Teacher Education Training Program/ International Montessori School Wilmington Campus student teaching site